Basic premise: PowerPoint presentations are boring. This makes them more interesting.
Number of players: 2+
Ages: 18+ (or 21+ in the US)
Play time: Depends how long and boring your presentation is
How it works
Similar to drinking games surrounding popular TV shows, where players take a drink whenever a certain trope is employed, or a specific phrase uttered, this fun little (career-destroying) games will brighten up all but the dullest of board meetings.
Here are some basic things to look out for. Feel free to add, remove, and adjust the rules to suit your needs – these are just some guidelines I thought up during a boring presentation (oh the irony).
- If there is a ‘welcome’ slide, take a drink
- If there is an introduction slide where the speaker talks about what he or she is going to be talking about for the next three million years of your life, take a drink
- For every graph or chart you see in the presentation, take a drink
- For every table of data you see in the presentation, take a drink
- For every distinct usage of word art you see in the presentation, take TWO drinks
- If you spot anything written in Comic Sans during the presentation, take THREE drinks
- If there is an interlude at any point in the presentation, ask yourself how you got here, and why you’re playing a drinking game at work. You tramp.
- If the presenter is using a laser pointer, take a drink
- If any slides cite external references, take a drink
- For any images that are blatantly from a stock image site, take a drink
- For any images that are blatantly from a stock image site AND still have a watermark, take TWO drinks
- For every out-of-context motivational quote in the presentation, take a drink
- If there is an ‘in summary’, ‘in conclusion’ or similar slide near the end, take a drink
- If there is a ‘Questions?’ slide at the end, take a drink
- If someone asks a pertinent question, take a drink
- If someone asks an impertinent/irrelevant question, THEY take a drink
Victory condition: Last participant of the presentation who hasn’t been fired, thrown out or vomited wins eternal glory and the prestigious title of Office Drunkard.
So there we have it. Please feel free to add any other rules or conditions to your own version, or add a comment and I’ll see about amending the post with some ideas.